NZ Football are introducing a new rule called the "Retreat Line". This is being rolled out for junior grades from 9-13 years old. The Retreating Line rule enables and encourages our young footballers to start to develop and enjoy a style of play in keeping with worlds best practice and New Zealand Football’s playing philosophy.
The implemented rule has been met with fantastic feedback from players, coaches, spectators and parents alike.
The Retreating Line helps create a game which is enjoyable to play, watch and coach.
The rule will create more opportunities for players to:
- Build attacking play from the back by playing out from the goalkeeper
- Recognise opportunities to play through the thirds
- Identify movements to receive and play between opposition units
- Learn effective ways to press from the front
- Be educated in the offside rule and learn how to time forwards runs (13th grade+)
Check out the video for a demo of this new initiative. (We will not be implementing the offside rules as shown in the video)